Saturday, April 11, 2015

Flexibility and Potential Disaster-- Corrupted Educational Systems and Mandatory Good Grades

Have you ever thought of the downside of being too flexible? Throughout my life, I was always told to be obedient, flexible, a good listener and a good supporter. As an Asian female, I was always told that it is better, or easier for me to live my life as flexible member of the society. A flexible member without much "attitude" or opinion. It is always better to be flexible in your school work. You should always, always learn to love all the subjects at school, and you should always be passionate in whatever you do, or whatever opportunity that comes up.

What happens then, after the point of high school, which everything was planned, scheduled and forced on you? What happens when you finally push yourself to "love" all the subjects and the people you encounter? Is that still love? Is that still passion?

It's not until college that I realize the potential harm of being too flexible or easily convinced. In high school, I was convinced to love English Literature as well and Mathematics and Chemistry and US History and Physics... I was convinced to love practicing the piano and Taekwondo. I was convinced to be easily... well... convinced. I started to forget what I initially wanted to learn at school, and I also forgot what I was good at. I was so used to forcing myself to like A, B and C... that I do not remember which one I actually "loved" and which one I should pursue as a major.

I was admitted as a Cognitive Science major, this low-key, new field of science that not a lot of people know about. It is a pain in a butt to explain to anyone outside of this major, but at the same time, I admire it's flexibility and endless possibility. Then, I added Accounting, this completely different, rule-based form of... well they do call it "science". This Accounting major, this language of business is something so different from what I entered college for. But, after all these years of forcing myself to like, something, I cannot differentiate what is "right" for me anymore. I mean, if I force myself hard enough, anything can potentially feel right. I can potentially get good grades on anything, right? In addition, getting good grade on something doesn't necessarily mean that you have passion in it, doesn't it just mean that you just, coincidentally happened to be good at doing that type of work... or maybe the class was too "introductory"? I don't know what is "love" and "passion"... I can no longer feel.

Is this the danger of being too flexible? Is it wrong to be too flexible?

You know, sometimes I really envy those people who grew up knowing, and doing, only one thing. Let it be music or art, video games or literature... at least they know exactly what to do and where do go. At least they will know to master that one thing. These are the people whom I believe will succeed. It is probably better for them to stay stubborn and not overly flexible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Retire Early: Barista FI/RE #shorts

via https://youtu.be/XzVc0-S0Pjs